National Folklore Collection
The story on this page has been taken from the Dúchas web site, page http://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/5044795/5038966and pages following. An image of the original manuscript can be viewed on the Dúchas page as well as more detailed information about the informant and recorder of the story.
Copyright and licence information appears at the bottom of this page.
There were hedge-schools in Drumbeagh Lane, two in Derryrealt and one in Drumcash. Teachers in Drumbeagh Lane named Cox and Maginnis. The place was long known as Cox's Lane.
Teachers in Derryrealt named Cassidy and Doogan came from Gortoral every morning-about five miles. There was an old school in Aughaboy on the rock near Swanlinbar
John McGovern, Mary Byrne (Swanlinbar) Hannah & Annie Maguire (Gubrawoollly) taught in this school. The people of this district paid the teacher. There was an old school in Altachullin near Barney Reilly's.
It was a thatched School with mud-walls. It was very uncomfortable. The present Altachullion School replaced it in the year 1890.
The old school in Altachullion belong-ed to the Government. The Government paid the Teachers.
No recorder or informant details given
School: Alt an Chuilinn
Location: Altachullion, Co. Cavan
Teacher: Brigid Martin
Thanks to Bernadette McGovern who transcribed this and a great many other pages of the The Schools' Collection, from the National Folklore Collection Archives.
Copyright, digital preservation, sensitive material and contact
Under the Creative Commons Licence you are free to:
What does "Attribute this work" mean?