St Peter's Church History

Site Map

Templeport  Clergy  Maps

Information taken from the census of 1831 by Chris & Ciaran Maguire of Bawnboy to whom thanks are due for this and much other information.

A Parish in the barony of Tullyhaw (Tullaghagh) and the Diocese of Kilmore seven and a half miles North west from Killeshandra containing 10,758 inhabitants comprises according to the Ordinance survey 42,172 statute acres of which 1532 ¾ are under water and 25767 are applotted under the Tithe Act. It contains not less than eight lakes; in the lake of Templeport is an island called Inch on which are picturesque remains of an Abbey founded by St Maedoc or Maodhog in the sixth century, attached to it is a cemetery still used as a burial place. At Kilnavert are also the remains of an ancient monastery of which there are no particulars on record with and extensive burial place still in use.

The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop; it was formerly united to the vicarage of Drumreilly from which it was separated in 1835, on the decease of the late Dr Bushe by an act of council on the recommendation of the Pluralities Commissioners.

The tithes amount to £276-18s-5½d; the glebe house was built in 1760 at the expense of £1165-4s-10d; There are two glebes, the other belonging to the parish of Drumreilly; of 58 acres valued at £193 per annum; the other comprising 171 acres valued at £195.  The church, a very neat edifice, beautifully situated on the margin of the lake, and for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £120 was erected in 1815, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £1500.

The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with the Established Church and is divided into upper and lower Templeport.; in the former there are three chapels and in the latter, one.  About 360 children are taught in four public schools and there are ten private schools in which are 520 children

Back to TOP